There was a small village called Venkatapuram, near Warangal. A retired postmaster named Narasimhamurthy lived there. His wife had passed away five years earlier. His two children were living in Hyderabad.
Narasimhamurthy had one particular habit.
There was an old trunk box in his house. He kept everything in it—old letters, photographs, bank passbooks, his children's school report cards, greeting cards people had given him, and all sorts of such things.
One day, his son Shashank came home and asked,
“Dad, why are you still keeping this trunk? It's all useless old papers, isn't it?”
Narasimhamurthy smiled.
“They aren't useless, son. They are my life.”
“Is this what life is?”
“At least, this is what I see when I look at it.”
Shashank said nothing.
---
One Sunday, while sorting through the old papers, Narasimhamurthy found a letter.
It was a letter written twenty-eight years ago.
It was from his younger brother, Ramachandram.
The two brothers had fallen out over a property dispute and had not spoken to each other for fifteen years.
There was one sentence at the end of the letter:
“Anna, whether we win or lose, this property is not coming with us. Let us sit down and talk once.”
Narasimhamurthy sat there holding the letter for a long time.
Ramachandram had been dead for eight years by then.
He suddenly leaned back in his chair.
“Ahh…”
That was all he could say.
The property had remained with both of them.
The quarrel had remained too.
But the life they had as brothers never came back.
---
Seeing that letter brought another old incident back to Narasimhamurthy's mind.
When the property dispute had started, the two brothers had said many harsh things to each other. One day, Ramachandram had angrily asked,
“Anna, do you want the money, or do you want to defeat me?”
Narasimhamurthy had not backed down.
“Justice is on my side. Why should I step back?”
Ramachandram had then said,
“You are trying to make justice win. But the relationship between the two of us as brothers will lose.”
At that time, those words had only made Narasimhamurthy angry.
Now, those same words went straight into his heart.
Did justice win?
Even today, he did not know.
But one thing was absolutely clear to him:
Both of them had lost something in that quarrel.
---
After coming home that day, Shashank asked,
“What happened, Dad?”
Narasimhamurthy showed him the letter.
“Your uncle called me toward the end. I didn't go.”
“Why?”
“I wanted to prove that I was right.”
Shashank remained silent.
Narasimhamurthy smiled.
“Now when I look back, I don't even remember whether I won or lost that property. But one thing I remember very clearly—the fifteen years I spent without speaking to my brother will never come back.”
That night, he took a small piece of paper.
He wrote:
“Being right in an argument is less important than protecting a relationship when it truly matters.”
He folded the paper and put it inside the trunk.
“This is what I learned. The rest is just rough work,” he told himself.
---
A few months later, Narasimhamurthy had a quarrel with an elderly neighbour named Satyavathi.
It was over something very small.
They had an argument about water being poured in front of the house.
The matter became bigger than it needed to be.
They stopped speaking to each other for three months.
One day, Satyavathi's blood pressure suddenly shot up and she collapsed.
Narasimhamurthy himself took her to the hospital in an auto.
After she recovered, she asked him,
“What about our quarrel?”
Narasimhamurthy smiled.
“I left it at the hospital gate.”
“Was it that easy?”
“No. After carrying it around for three months, I finally understood—it was heavy, and it was of no use.”
Satyavathi laughed.
“What if we quarrel again?”
“We probably will. We are human beings, after all!”
They both laughed.
---
But Narasimhamurthy did not simply leave that incident at that.
That night, he wrote one sentence in his diary:
“Not reacting immediately when anger rises in the mind is also a form of learning.”
That's all.
He did not write how the quarrel started, who said what, or who blamed whom.
Shashank asked,
“Such a big quarrel, and you wrote only one line?”
Narasimhamurthy smiled.
“That was the incident. This is its capsule.”
“Capsule?”
“Yes. We don't carry an entire bottle of medicine around with us, do we? We take what is needed in the form of a small tablet. In the same way, from a hundred pages of an experience, we should take out one small truth that is useful to us.”
“If you don't learn that one thing and instead keep carrying the hundred pages of pain, it is like carrying your rough work on your shoulders for the rest of your life.”
---
A year later, Shashank suffered a huge loss in his business.
Nearly thirty lakh rupees.
He went to his father and said,
“Dad, my whole life is finished.”
Narasimhamurthy looked at him for a while.
“You lost thirty lakhs. But you are saying your whole life is finished?”
“Then what?”
“The money is gone. Did your life go with it?”
Shashank remained silent.
“Look carefully at what happened. Find out where you went wrong. Remember what you should not do again. Try to recover from the loss. But don't turn the loss into your identity.”
“What do you mean?”
“‘I am a man who lost everything’ is another story. ‘I suffered a loss’ is an event. There is a big difference between the two.”
---
Shashank went through all his business accounts again.
He found one major mistake.
He had trusted a friend's word and bought a huge quantity of goods in advance without properly checking when the customers' payments would actually come in.
The real reason for the loss was not the market.
It was his haste, his excessive trust, and giving more importance to a person's words than to the actual numbers.
He went back to his father.
“Dad, the loss was thirty lakhs. But I learned one sentence.”
“What?”
“You can trust people. But when it comes to money, check the numbers yourself.”
Narasimhamurthy smiled.
“That is your capsule. Keep it. You don't have to keep replaying the entire thirty-lakh story every day.”
---
After some time, Shashank got back on his feet.
His sister Madhuri, meanwhile, had gone abroad and settled there.
At first, Narasimhamurthy found it very difficult.
“The children don't live nearby anymore. For whom did I struggle all these years?” he would think.
One day, Madhuri told him over the phone,
“Dad, only now I understand how hard you worked to educate us when we were young.”
Narasimhamurthy's eyes filled with tears.
After ending the call, he sat quietly for a while.
Then he told himself,
“I thought I lived for them. But their childhood belonged to them. My responsibility was mine. Now their lives belong to them.”
That thought brought a great lightness to him.
He continued to love his children.
But he stopped looking at their lives as an extension of his own.
---
Another small incident changed his thinking even more.
Once, Madhuri came to the village during the summer holidays with her children. Her young son Aditya spent the whole day following his grandfather around.
“Grandpa, when I grow up, I want to become a postmaster just like you,” he said.
Narasimhamurthy laughed.
“You become whatever you feel like becoming.”
“Won't you feel bad?”
“Why?”
“If I don't become like you?”
Narasimhamurthy gently touched the boy's head.
“You don't have to become like me. Your life is yours. I am your grandfather. I am not your owner.”
Madhuri heard those words too.
She looked at her father.
Narasimhamurthy said nothing more.
But something became clear to him inside.
Even the list of sacrifices we made for our children should not one day be placed around their necks like a debt note.
---
One day, an elderly man in the village died.
His two sons were fighting over the property.
The dead man's body was inside the house.
Outside, the two sons were shouting,
“That field is mine!”
“That house is mine!”
Narasimhamurthy stood there and watched.
He did not lecture either of them.
After returning home, he wrote in his diary:
“The moment a man dies, his claim over his property ends. Yet on that very day, his children start a new fight over it. Sometimes it takes another person's death for a man to realise how short life really is.”
Then he changed that sentence and wrote a shorter one:
“Everything we hold on to will eventually go. It is the mind that suffers because it keeps holding on.”
“This is the capsule,” he said.
---
One day, Narasimhamurthy had a small argument with his daughter Madhuri.
Madhuri said angrily,
“Dad, please don't compare everything with the way things were in your time. Our times are different.”
Those words hurt Narasimhamurthy deeply.
“Even my own daughter doesn't understand me,” he thought.
They did not speak for two days.
On the third day, Madhuri called him herself.
“Dad, I spoke too harshly. I'm sorry.”
Narasimhamurthy replied,
“I was also too proud of my own opinion. I'm sorry.”
After ending the call, he smiled.
This time, he did not open his diary.
“If I write this down too, I'll be creating another file. This time, the capsule can stay in the mind itself,” he thought.
---
A few days later, an old acquaintance met Narasimhamurthy near his shop.
Years ago, that man had borrowed money from Narasimhamurthy and never returned it.
After all these years, he began,
“Sir, about that money from back then…”
Narasimhamurthy smiled.
“That money is gone.”
“I'm sorry.”
“You don't need to apologise. The one thing I need to remember is this—when lending money, get it in writing.”
The man smiled.
“That's all?”
“That's all. If I keep hating you, will I get my money back?”
It was then that Narasimhamurthy understood something clearly: forgiveness does not mean declaring the other person innocent.
It means clearing the space you have given that person inside your mind.
---
One night, Narasimhamurthy sat looking through the old account books in the cupboard.
Thirty years of accounts.
How much he had taken from whom.
How much he had given to whom.
Where there had been profit.
Where there had been loss.
Where he had been cheated.
Where he had made mistakes.
He turned the pages one by one and finally said,
“These are not the accounts of my life. They are the rough work of my life.”
Shashank was sitting beside him.
“Then what is the fair copy?”
Narasimhamurthy remained silent for a while.
“Not how much money I earned.”
“Not how much I lost.”
“Not even who loved me and who cheated me.”
“Not even what I became because of all those people.”
Shashank looked at him.
Narasimhamurthy slowly said:
“After seeing all of this, perhaps the real fair copy is to find out who this ‘I’ is that is still sitting here holding on to everything.”
Shashank said nothing.
Narasimhamurthy closed the old account book.
The next day, he did not throw it into the rubbish.
He put it back in the cupboard.
But he never opened it again.
---
The old trunk, however, remained.
A few days later, Shashank asked again,
“Dad, there is nothing left in the trunk now. You can throw it away too.”
Narasimhamurthy said,
“No. Let it remain.”
“Why?”
“Because it reminds me of something.”
“What?”
Narasimhamurthy touched the trunk gently.
“Once, I thought my whole life was inside this trunk. Now it is empty, and I have lost nothing.”
Shashank stood there silently.
---
A few days later, Narasimhamurthy fell ill and took to bed.
Shashank and Madhuri both came.
That night, he slowly said,
“I want to tell you both something.”
“Tell us, Dad.”
“Whatever story you create about my life is up to you. You may remember my mistakes. You may remember the good things I did too.”
He paused for a while.
“But don't make my life a burden on yourselves.”
“You should love me. But you don't have to carry my memory around for the rest of your lives.”
Both their eyes filled with tears.
Narasimhamurthy smiled.
“I don't want to become something you have to carry as a memory either. You should live your own lives.”
He closed his eyes.
The room became quiet.
Outside, someone started a bike in front of the house.
Far away, a temple bell rang.
Life continued doing what it always does.
---
Commentary
The events that happen in our lives have two parts.
One is rough work.
Who said what, who cheated us, who left us, where we lost money, where we lost, where we won, who humiliated us—all of this is rough work.
The second is the learning capsule.
It is the one small, clear piece of wisdom we take out of the entire experience.
The rough work may run into a hundred pages.
The capsule may be just one sentence.
But it is that one sentence that is useful for the rest of our life.
Were you cheated?
“Evidence matters more than words.”
Did you lose money?
“Decisions should be made with clear calculations, not excitement.”
Did a relationship go wrong?
“Not every disagreement has to become a lifelong war.”
Did someone move away?
“Love them, but don't hold them as if you own them.”
Did you make a mistake?
“Seeing the truth matters more than proving that I am right.”
That is the learning capsule.
Once you have taken the capsule, there is no need to keep reading the rough work again and again.
This is exactly what many people fail to do in life.
A man cheated you ten years ago.
The man is gone.
The money is gone.
The incident is over.
Yet every month, we keep remembering it and continue paying that same person a salary inside our own mind.
That is not detachment.
That is holding on to memory.
On the other hand, saying, “Everything is maya,” and refusing to learn the lesson is not detachment either.
The money is gone. You learned nothing. You make the same mistake again.
That is not detachment—it is lack of discrimination.
So the right sequence is:
Event → Observation → Learning → Capsule → Release.
Not chewing the same incident again and again.
Take the lesson and move forward.
And if you look even deeper, the capsule itself is not the final destination.
Because initially:
“This happened to me.”
Then:
“This incident taught me this lesson.”
Then:
“I am also able to observe this lesson.”
That is where self-inquiry (atma-vichara) begins.
Until then, we are trying to improve our life.
Here, the question becomes:
Who is it that is observing this entire experience called ‘life’?
Childhood came—and went.
Youth came—and went.
A job came—and changed.
Money came—and went.
People came—and left.
The body changed.
Thoughts changed.
Even our opinions changed.
Yet the consciousness (chaitanya) because of which all these changes are known is present before, during and after every experience.
That is the real subject of inquiry.
So ultimately, there is no need to hate the rough work.
Without the rough work, you would not have found the capsule.
But there is also no need to carry the capsule around in your hand for the rest of your life.
At some point, even that has to be released.
Rough work is experience.
The capsule is wisdom.
The one holding even the capsule is the mind.
To look at who is aware of that mind—that is self-inquiry.
Living your whole life carrying everything that happened and finally becoming exhausted is not wisdom.
Taking what is useful from what happened, leaving the rest there, and walking lightly—that is maturity.
In the end, the fair copy may not contain a long story at all.
It may contain just one sentence:
“Whatever came, went; I learned what had to be learned; but who, truly, am I—the one who knows that all this has happened?”
No comments:
Post a Comment